Sunday 5 December 2010

There are Assumptions being made

To assume is to mistake

And sometimes, to mistake is to hurt.

Hence to assume is to hurt...

I was standing in a room full of other students who did not have an inkiling of any torment that was constantly surrounding me. I did not expect them to know just because my perception was so different - so strange - that it was impossible to comprehend.

While I stood with half a sandwich in my hand, I was approached by someone who I vaguely remembered meeting about a year ago. She looked at my sandwich and then at my face. A cheeky smile crept across her face: "Looks like everything is fine now"

If only my perception could be understood by everyone else, then I could have explained to her that nothing was fine and that nothing was well. She just assumed that everything was sorted and that the ordeal was over. But there was an ordeal in my head and that ordeal is my distortion. I watched the other people in the room smile and greet each other with excitement of getting to meet everyone again. I could not do that - distortion told me that no one was going to understand me and understand that the smile I put on is merely a mask to hide something dark.

I left the room a few moments later and took the sandwich I had so merticulously prepared an hour before and threw it into the bin before going outside into the cold to ponder about my misfortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment