Thursday 3 March 2011

Unbelievably long ago.

I'm reading studies which go back as far as the 1930s and I think How can anyone think about children relationships with their parents when the world was in the brink of a disaster.

I hold the perception that pehaps these psychologists are just so deep in their theories and their studies that the world did not matter to them


Fast forward to the 1990s, and I read studies by Pons on brain lesions in rats and the multitude of detailed analysis he and colleagues about the brain and I think Oh my god. All this goes on and I'm ony just born at that time. Unbelievable

Enter the 20th century and there's a study by Defeyter and German about how children perceive their environment in terms of functional fixedness. Defeyter & German (2000). The year 2000? I was only 9 years old - sitting in a small dusty classroom with 30 other students. The only thing I was probably thinking about that time was what show I was going to watch on the telly when I got home.

Now, I sit in front of my laptop while listening to James Blunt's "These are the Words". I am away from home and on my own, reading all these studies which have fought the arguments against them and travelled through unscaved throught time's void. Now they are finding their way into my undestanding but I still think: Some of these were dated to before my existence. Those that were...well..I never thought I'd be reading about them now, almost 20 years since my birth.

That was an unbelievably long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment