Thursday 2 January 2014

Christmas Tree in the Window

I boarded the train at Guildford to travel away from home to the outskirts of London. The doors closed behind me, shutting out the cold air and keeping in what little warmth winter has left us with.

And off we went.

It was while sitting in the last carriage with my head against the window did I notice how many Christmas trees were still left out in living rooms - I could see them in the windows of the houses we sped past. Many of them were still joyfully lit with colourful lights while some stood lonely in a dim room.

As the Surrey countryside began to merge into metropolitan London, the houses began to lose their warmth and everything seemed to darken slightly. And the sight of Christmas trees began to dissipate until there were none left to be seen. I felt what little we had left of Christmas disappear behind me.

I guess it is already January.

As we pulled into Clapham Junction, I gathered my things and stood by the door waiting for it to open, and when it did, a gush of cold air flooded the train. I got off and looked around - everything's dark and grey and the station has never felt so cold.

I walked to Platform 5 to catch the connecting train and I was the only one there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment