Sunday 20 November 2011

Chronology of Friendship

Here we are at five.

We were playing at the swings after a thunderstorm. Below our swinging feet were puddles of water where little tadpoles swam. We held hands and smiled knowing that tomorrow was going to be just as fun. The sun will always shine after a storm



Here we are at ten.

It was your birthday and I had my arm over your shoulder in a friendly embrace. You threw bits of cake at me that year. It was a friendly gesture - it was your way of letting me know that you were thinking of me. I don't think our mothers were impressed to find their daughters covered in cake.



Here we are at fifteen.

I stood behind the group of girls we went out with. I didn't think what we were doing was right. Weed and alcohol on a humid night. There were dark-clothed men walking the alleys looking out for promiscuous, naive girls. I didn't want to be one of them. I slinked away from the group before midnight and left you to form new, dangerous relationships.



Here we are at twenty.

I stood over you. With flowers in my hand. I had never see you so calm before and I smiled weakly as I placed the flowers in your hands. The bruise you obtained from the asault was barely visible under your make-up - you looked perfect, just as you did in life. The lid closed and you resigned into the darkness.






And now, here I am.







.

No comments:

Post a Comment