Saturday 28 January 2012

Permanence

Oh how your lies
penetrate the night;
sleepless in bed, staring
fixated at the light
you gave me when
the day was young.

Throwing the blankets off
and wandering into the dark
my shadow falls at the corner of the loft.
Oh my child, are your feelings stuck
on the memories you formed
in the throes of love?
Or were they merely expectations
based on misconceptions?


Dear child. You die
knowing you were all but nothing.
Tragically dissipitating
and constantly disappearing.
Why do you hold on so long
to the nights of young
and unfaithful songs
which no longer hold meaning
let alone hold promise.

Carpenters sing in the lonely air
and I hold on tight
to what I have left:
a pillow, a blanket, and the
unnerving image of the light
you sent to me
on a cold, naive night.

No comments:

Post a Comment