Tuesday 23 November 2010

I have run myself into a Corner



If you visualise a corner in your head, there are physical aspects which make it a corner:

1. it consists of three surfaces which meet at a particular point
2. it needs three edges to converge at this point

Three surfaces + three edges = one point (one corner)
three + three = ONE

So I have turned a visual conception into a numerical one and, oh, now it doesn't add up. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. Maybe I should just forget about the surfaces and the edges and just think of the corner - just that one lonely corner. It is moreover, what I was trying to draw your attention to. Fixate on the corner and let that visualisation you had of it before ebb away until all you are left with is the concept of that corner. It is just a point in space where other physical aspects meet (the surfaces and the edges) but when I think of it as just a point I feel that I have de-physicalised it just as how we can dephysicalise emotions. If only I could physicalise emotions though then it would be so easy to make sense of. Maybe if I could physicalise it, I could embrace it or I could pick it up and throw it against the wall and make it shatter into a million pieces. If only I could make sense of it and say that it consisted of three edges and three corners, or six edges and six corners.

But apparently, and unfortunately, I can't.


No comments:

Post a Comment